MaD dUCK on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:39:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] politics/open source (was: T-Shirts)

also sprach Michael Leone (on Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:22:31PM -0500):
> I say no, because that's too tunnel-vision. It's also meant to represent
> independence from ALL closed-source OSes ... such as many different
> Unices (Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, etc). Not just MS.

word, i understood. excuse my all-eclipsing *love* for the
redmond-clowns.

> As far as I can tell, only you are thinking of this in a political way.
> Admittedly, only we 3 (you, Tony and I) have commented on the
> suggestion/choice of logo. And Tony and I don't see it as political - we
> see it as independence in the larger, more literal meaning. Not in some
> socio-political way.

yes, i saw it politically, and it was purely related to the political
connotation of the declaration of independence. then you come to think
of it, and, tying in with your point about this being the *philly*
lug, philly doesn't have much else than most of america's history :)
and cheesesteaks (no offense intended), and i have yet to meet the
artist to draw tux with a cheesesteak, which, without letters, spells
philly in non-ambiguous ways. but what you say makes sense (as i
admitted earlier). however, while independence certainly is a pro of
open-source, so are the marxist ideals of communism.

> And - just as an aside - what, you didn't like my idea of Tux with a
> soft pretzel and the Liberty Bell? :-)

do you really want to know? i am bavarian, we have the world's best
pretzels which we consume along with the world's best beer for
sunday's brunch. i think, for the sake of sanity, my comment on this
one better be tightly guarded within my bavarian, beer-worshipping,
and pretzel-loving soul.

if given the choice, i'd now opt for the declaration of independence
tux. anyway, i really shouldn't be discussing any of this for i am not
american, i wasn't born in philly nor do i live here, and my stay here
will be irreversibly over with my graduation in june.

martin

[greetings from the heart of the sun]# echo madduck@!#:1:s@\@@@.net
--
humpty was pushed.