Michael Leone on Mon, 12 Feb 2001 01:09:26 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Political, open-source, T-shirt design

On 12 Feb 2001 00:41:12 -0500, Beldon wrote:
> How about a Tux with Franklin glasses, a wig, and waistcoat) doing something
> like flying a kite in a thunderstorm-- and the lightning bolt can have the
> letters "GPL" on it.  The caption can be something like "Life, liberty, and
> the pursuit of source-code"  And on the back could be our name and something
> like, "Source code is free speech".

Now, that sounds cool. I'd like to be seen in something like that. Cool,
idealistic and geeky, all at the same time. :-)

> Or maybe the back and front could be reversed.
>
> On the subject of our name.  I've always thought that we should be
> "PhillyLUG" or "PhillyLinux" not PLUG.  There are so many PLUGs all over the
> world (I can see it now, "You're with PLUG?  Which one?")  At least my last
> LUG in north Jesey (Passaic County) called themselves "/dev/plug"  We need to
> differentiate ourselves.

You have a point. I just wonder if we're so ingrained as PLUG after so
long, that we'd continue to be PLUG, regardless of any official name
change. The way "Columbus Blvd" is still "Delaware Ave". :-)

> I think.
>
> On Monday 12 February 2001 00:21, you wrote:
> > >
> > > When I saw the first message suggesting Tux *with* a cheesesteak,
> > > I nearly sent a message suggesting the first thing that popped into my
> > > head, namely, Tux *as* a cheesesteak.  I decided not to mention that,
> > > though, since it would be in such bad... um, *taste*.
> >
> > Heh heh heh. You're a mean one, Mr. Jonas. :-)
> >
> > > Seriously, though, I think a graphic incorporating something like the
> > > "Dynamic Duo" theme at http://www.gnu.org/graphics/bwcartoon.html would
> > > be neat.  Nifty color images at
> > > http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnu-and-penguin-color-300x276.png and
> > > http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnu-and-penguin-color-1024x946.png (be
> > > careful, the last one's nearly 800k).  Maybe have them flying over
> > > Independence Hall?
> >
> > It's an idea, but I seriously doubt any non-Linux users would get the
> > reference, just from the graphic. Other Linux people might get the
> > reference, maybe - or not; I wouldn't think "Gnu", just from the image
> > (and no title). I see "GPL", I think "free",  and "keeps the lawyers
> > away". Most non-Linux folks would say "It's a WHAT? Isn't the Linux
> > mascot a penguin?".
> >
> > The flying Tux is an idea, tho.
> >

> --
> For translation:  http://www.kluge.net/ungeek.html

Michael J. Leone <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Registered Linux user #201348

As the bombshells of my daily fears explode ...
                         _Galileo_, The Indigo Girls