gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:20:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] minimum seating: 50 people (need more meeting location options)

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 12:48:28AM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> Okay, so I didn't quite succede in my attempt to state that I think we need
> seating for at least 50 people.  I apparently managed to just skip that
> number.

Yeah, I picked the minimum number that you'd stated had showed
recently, and noticed that the most we're comfortable (and
"comfortable" is a bit of a stretch) having in a CS class in the lab
right now is about 35. :^>

Classrooms on campus seat more, so maybe it'd be best to keep
Swarthmore around as an emergency alternate during the school year.
As I said, I can, as a student easily (http://www2.swarthmore.edu/space/)
reserve a class room for an evenings use. I'd probably need a couple
weeks notice to be sure we could get something, though.

> I really do appreciate the offers, and mean no unpleasantness to anybody.

None taken, of course. :^>

(Side note: this is space thing a major problem even just for the CS
department here. About eight people graduated with a CS major from
Swarthmore in the Spring of 2000. There were sixteen just now in
the class of 2001. There are forty-nine declared in my class, that
of 2002. The applicants for the class of 2003 were capped at fifty.
In about five years, the CS department will have twice as much
space in a new natural sciences building elsewhere on campus...
it'll be about eight years too late for more space. Never mind the
fact we also still have only THREE tenure-track professors.  This
is partly because getting a new tenure track position for the
department requires that a tenured professor in another department
retire and that position be allotted to us. Then there's the problem
that there's one person applying to be a CS professor for every
three to four positions offered. Nationally.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net