Arthur Alexion on Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:40:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Connection to x-server refused

On 7/31/01, 3:48:12 PM, Kevin Brosius <kbrosius@kns.com> wrote regarding
Re: [PLUG] Connection to x-server refused:

> Bill Jonas wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 12:59:17PM +0000, Arthur Alexion wrote:
> > > Could the opposite be possible?  That is, could a disk space shortage,
> > > exacerbated by temp files, either be preventing these files from being
> > > written to disk, or overwriting them?  I'm not getting any warnings, but
> > > disk space is a bit tight on this machine.
> >
> > I'd think that in that case you wouldn't be able to start X at all.
> >
> > Can somebody else jump in here with ideas?

> Well, if you don't see anything unusual at the end of /var/log/messages,
> then I'd head over to http://www.xfree86.org and post the same question
> on the xpert mailing list.  Also, Redhat 6.2 is old enough that you are
> running a couple versions back from the latest XFree86, so this may be a
> resolved issue.

I?ll try this.

> Out of curiosity, is it any program or one specific program you can't
> start?  Can you start another xterm when this happens, or do they fail
> also?  If you have an xterm up, then close one, can you start another
> one?

Once it happens, nothing x will run.  Everything running continues
without a problem.  I never specifically tried closing an xterm window
and restarting it, but I have tried shutting down j-pilot and xterm in
order to run kppp or rp3 and that did not work, so it is not a simple
free memory issue.  Once it happens, no matter what I shut, I still can?t
start anything else.

Art