Bill Jonas on Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:50:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Connection to x-server refused

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 01:30:28AM +0000, Arthur Alexion wrote:
> Once it happens, nothing x will run.  Everything running continues
> without a problem.  I never specifically tried closing an xterm window
> and restarting it, but I have tried shutting down j-pilot and xterm in
> order to run kppp or rp3 and that did not work, so it is not a simple
> free memory issue.  Once it happens, no matter what I shut, I still can?t
> start anything else.

Have you checked the daily cron jobs?

As root, do "crontab -l".  If cron jobs get started from someplace other
than root's crontab (like Debian's /etc/crontab and the /etc/cron.d,
/etc/cron.monthly, /etc/cron.daily, and /etc/cron.weekly directories),
check those too.  You're looking for a line that would contain something
like:

find /tmp -atime 2 |xargs rm -rf

or:
find /tmp -ctime 2 |xargs rm -rf

or:
find /tmp -mtime 2 |xargs rm -rf

I have a sneaking suspicion that something like that's going on that's
just plain getting rid of anything in /tmp that's older than a day or
three.

Again, I could be way off base.

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin