Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:30:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] apt-get and old sources

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 06:03:47PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> Perhaps try 'grep-available -i -FVersion ximian' would show you
> something?

diderot:/home/jeff# grep-available -i -FVersion snapshot -sPackage
diderot:/home/jeff# grep-available -i -FVersion ximian -sPackage
diderot:/home/jeff# grep-dctrl -i ximian -sPackage /var/lib/dpkg/available
diderot:/home/jeff#

Oh, wait, how did grep-dctrl get symlinked to /bin/true. Just
kidding. ;-)

> Wait, have you done an 'apt-get update' after removing the Ximian lines
> from your sources.list?  In that case, the package lists for the Ximian
> stuff wouldn't be in /var/lib/apt/lists with all the others, which is
> where grep-available looks (I think).  Try doing something like this
> instead:  'grep-dctrl -i ximian -sPackage /var/lib/dpkg/available' and
> see if you get different results.  (That file holds information on all
> the packages that dpkg knows about, as opposed to what's currently
> available to be installed.)

Yes, I did apt-get update after cleaning sources.list.

It looks like there's some part of dctrl that keeps track of
everything it's ever seen, and so I get still these weird errors like
"ggv, I've seen that, but I don't know about it," sometimes with
reference to ximian.

But I guess there's nothing left to purge.

These leaves me with the question of pilot-link, where I've got
(thanks to ximian) a testing version that I don't want. But now I just
do an apt-get remove pilot-link followed by an apt-get install jpilot
(which installs pilot-link) and all's well. Cool.

Much thanks, Bill and others.

--
 Jeff