Bill Jonas on Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:10:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] apt-get and old sources

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 07:35:12PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> So here's what's odd:

Hmm, that *is* odd.

> I guess I kind of got what I want, but I'd love some help in
> understanding what happened. I thought dpkg -l should be a subset of
> apt-cache seach, for example.

I'm surprised too.

I believe you're basically right (assuming I'm getting your intended
meaning) about 'dpkg -l' vs. 'apt-cache search'.  But apparently apt
doesn't search the version strings.  Strange.  grep-available should've
picked up on those.

Perhaps try 'grep-available -i -FVersion ximian' would show you
something?  If it works, then try adding the rest of the pipe sequence
from the grep-available command from my other message, then following
the rest of the steps.  (BTW, I just noticed from looking at the man
page that the 'grep ^Package' is unnecessary -- grep-available (and,
more generally, grep-dctrl) has a '-s' or '--show-fields' option.)

Anyway, this is what I get on my sid machine with an example query:
bj@neo:~$ grep-available -i -FVersion snapshot -sPackage
Package: zephyr-clients
Package: zephyr-server-krb
Package: zephyr-server
Package: libzephyr3
Package: postfix
Package: libzephyr3-krb
Package: postfix-tls
Package: libzephyr-dev

Hopefully this will work better.

Wait, have you done an 'apt-get update' after removing the Ximian lines
from your sources.list?  In that case, the package lists for the Ximian
stuff wouldn't be in /var/lib/apt/lists with all the others, which is
where grep-available looks (I think).  Try doing something like this
instead:  'grep-dctrl -i ximian -sPackage /var/lib/dpkg/available' and
see if you get different results.  (That file holds information on all
the packages that dpkg knows about, as opposed to what's currently
available to be installed.)

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin