Dave Turner on Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:10:15 +0200

Re: SMTP cruft (was: Re: [PLUG] Does restricting partial words weaken passwords?)

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 04:02:14PM -0400, Dave Turner wrote:
> > You are looking from a system security standpoint at what I took as a
> > mathematical question :)
>
> No cryptography question is only a mathematical question.

Um. Yes, all cryptography questions are only mathematical questions -
otherwise, the easiest way to get a password is brute force with rubber hoses
and all crypto discussion is meaningless.

Security is a different topic entirely.

> > You can do that by checking From rather than Sender.
>
> No, you can't, because a sender can easily spoof a From: address. If
> what you're concerned about is that only people who actually do have
> permission to post to the mailing list do, you have to rely on the
> envelope From address or the Delivered-To headers. Go read the
> relevant RFCs, to which you were already kindly referred.

So, my secretary can't send messages to PLUG to me? :)  Anyway, since I don't
host my own SMTP server, I can't make my self into an authenticated user.

--
-[Dave Turner                                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859]
*** Error: The method "java.lang.Object newInstance();" can throw the