Zachary Whitley on Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:20:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] block-major-3 and binfmt-0000 'modules'...

On Wed, 2001-10-17 at 11:25, Guillermo Moyna wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> First, thanks to all how provided pointers to my SSH problems. It was
> actually something else. One of the rpc daemons was not running, and
> aparently that made the ssh server a very unhappy camper...
>
> Now a question. I don't recall ever 'mounting' the CDROM on our
> cluster (paricularly after a kernel upgrade), and I tried the other
> day and it would not work (This little intro basically means "I have
> no idea when this started to happen..."). Looking into the log file,
> I found this two 'modprobe' error messages, one of which seems to be
> related:
>
> Oct 16 13:45:33 node0 modprobe: can't locate module binfmt-0000
> Oct 16 15:43:45 node0 modprobe: can't locate module block-major-3
>
> What the heck are these things? I know binfmt has something to do
> with binary format of executables, and block-major-3 with block
> devices (hda, hdb, therefore the problem with the CDROM, I suspect).
> More importantly, how the heck do I fix'em?
>
> TIA,
>
> Guillermo
> +==================-------------- --- -- -  -    -     -
> Guillermo Moyna, PhD
> Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
> University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
> 600 South 43rd Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495
>
>   "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
>    All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.
>
> Office: Grifith Hall 360
> Phone:  (215) 596-8526
> Fax:    (215) 596-8543
> e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu
> WWW:    http://tonga.usip.edu/gmoyna/index.html
>          http://www.usip.edu/chemistry/faculty/moyna.asp

Check your /etc/modules.conf file. 'man modules.conf' should tell you
how the file works. There should be a line that aliases block-major-3 to
a module.

Zachary C Whitley
E-Mail: zachary@whitley.org
Web: zachary.whitley.org
Public Key: available from public key servers