LeRoy Cressy on Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:41:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help installing to VAIO SuperSlim...

On top of Bill sugestion check the laptop's bios for the boot sequence.
If it is labeled something c only then you cannot boot from the floppy
or cd until you change it to floppy cdrom c: or floppy c: or whatever.

Usually there is a prompt on boot that tells you haw to get into your
bios setup.

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 11:36:37AM -0400, William Shank wrote:
> > can anyone help me out here? i usually install from boot disk/cdrom, so this
> > is foreign to me.
>
> Since the CD-ROM works in Linux (on another machine), perhaps you should
> try using a floppy disk to boot from.  (Look on your distribution's CD
> for their floppy disk images and use rawrite.exe to put it on a floppy.)
> This would allow you to get the system up and going and then you might
> be able to mount the CD-ROM and proceed with your install.
>
> If that doesn't work, can you post details on what you're trying with
> loadlin?  ie, how you're invoking it (From the command line or with a
> batch file?  If with a batch file, what are the contents of it?), what
> other files you have alongside loadlin.exe and your kernel image, that
> sort of thing.
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
> "They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin
> If encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir rapelcgvba.

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <