paul on Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:00:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] I just got laid off.

> Side note: I won't have a BS. I'll have a BA. In Computer Science.
> (The only BS granted by Swarthmore is in Engineering. Yes, I am
> aware that this is odd.)

I was looking at a BA program because it has slightly lower math
requirements (I was never good at math.) and has more electives. I would
think that the BA is just as good as a BS for many jobs.

> Seriously, it's certainly been discussed that, recently, young
> people have learned enough on their own certainly to do web design
> and (in my opinion only, in my case) system administration before
> the end of high school, and penalizing these people with a low
> salary for joining the workforce with their knowledge earlier rather
> than sitting through tertiary school classes in which they learned
> little was unfair. (I remember multiple /. discussions along these
> lines.)

I don't know how much this applies to the discussion, but my 2.5 year
old son is already proficient in Win98SE. It's true. He started by
driving a car in "Midtown Madness" and progressed to starting and
playing "Blue's Clues" games using the mouse. I think I was at least 20
years old before I started hacking away at computers.