Kevin Brosius on Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:20:15 +0100

Re: cell phones (was: Re: [PLUG] I just got laid off.)

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 05:25:27PM -0500, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> > At this point, they all have similar plans.  It mostly boils down to
> > features and coverage.  VoiceStream has more features than everyone
> > else, but with AT&T converting to GSM during 2002/2003 that playing
> > field will likely become level, fast.  I really want an unlocked
> > Nokia GSM that runs on 800, 900, 1800 and 1900 Mhz bands (this would
> > cover the whole GSM-world, including the new AT&T GSM rollout), that
> > supports Bluetooth and GPRS.  Maybe 2002 will bring that...
>
> Wait, the FCC got its head out of its ass and licensed a band for
> GSM in the states finally?
>
> Wow. That (and one of those Nokia phones) might be enough to counter
> my "no one ever needs to get in touch with me that badly, no matter
> what They think" stance on cell phones!

When was this a problem?  I've had a GSM phone here in the states for 2
or 3 years now.  First with Omnipoint and now with Voicestream.
Granted, coverage isn't what you'll get with some other providers, but
Philly coverage is great as far as I can tell.  Voicestream local
calling now covers PA-East, NJ, Baltimore, DE if I recall correctly.
Plus the worldwide roaming is really cool if you have need for it, and
you have a world capable phone.  Downside is the US is on 1800/1900 MHz,
while most other countries use either 800 or 900.  That's why you'd need
a world (multi-band) phone.  Omnipoint used to rent them at a vary
reasonable rate if you were traveling, about $30 for up to a month of
phone use.

--
Kevin Brosius