Michael Leone on Sat, 10 Nov 2001 22:27:44 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.4.13 and eepro troubles - further solved

> On Thu, 2001-11-08 at 19:05, Bill Jonas wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 03:59:15PM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> > > Thoughts, anyone?
> >
> > Try 2.4.14 and see if you can duplicate the results?

I downloaded the 2.4.14 sources, and tried again. Only this times I
configured 2 things differently - I did *not* apply the kernel patches
for Win4Lin; and I compiled USB directly into the kernel, instead of as
a modules. (USB core support only; I kept the individual USB device
support as modules - printer, scanner, etc).

All worked like a charm; eepro100 loaded fine; ifup worked; all normal.
Better than it had been, in fact - I had been having problems whenever I
rebooted; it would hang most times when unloading the USB module,
necessitating the Bid Red Switch. This time, it didn't.

So then I added the Win4Lin kernel patches (leaving USB compiled
directly in). I did get a message about an unmet dependency in the loop
module (something about "de-activate page"), but I ignored it. I then
recompiled, etc.

All still works; eepro coming up; Win4Lin working; etc. Using that
kernel now. Looking good so far.

So I'm hoping that the problem was some kind of side effect of having
the USB support as all modules, instead of my current config of core
support compiled in; individual devices as modules. I've noticed that I
had this problem since kernel 2.4.12. So I just kept using my old 2.4.10
- which does load with USB as modules, but seems to have troubles
UNLOADING.

Well, that's how I spent part of MY Saturday; how about you? :-)

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Foreman, roving paving crew, Hades.