Beldon Dominello on Sat, 15 Dec 2001 03:40:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] NFS Question

On Friday 14 December 2001 01:00 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 05:51:22PM -0500, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> > It shows the hostname that originally mounted the volume.
>
> And the AIX box definitely has the file system unmounted?

Yup.  Tried umount and it said "nothing to unmount".

> Could you use tcpdump to make sure there's not something broken with
> some file handle closing that's keeping the connection up even
> though the AIX box doesn't list the mountpoint any more?

I'll check that one out.

> mountvers=N in fstab for the client end, but that's probably
> Linux-specific. I would expect this to be a flag for rpcbind (since
> it's about the RPC version, not the NFS- specific version), or
> whatever does that business under Linux, but I don't see it in a
> quick man page skim.
>
> It might involve reconfiguring the RPC bits of your kernel and
> recompiling.

> > > Try doing the NFS mount one level higher.
> >
> > Did that.  Didn't work.
>
> Nuts.
>
> (Just to make sure, you mean "didn't fix this problem", not "didn't
> work at all", right?)

Correct on the first one.  Didn't fix the problem.  Mounted up just fine.
When I tried to run an install script, though, it seemed to lose the
connection, partially.  I had to remount for it to see the directory.  Never
got it to work for the length of an install (which, for DB2, can be nearly an
hour with fixpacks).

Thanks again.  I'll continue the investigation on Monday.

--
	There are some goyisha names that just about guarantee that
someone isn't Jewish.  For example, you'll never meet a Jew named