Chris Beggy on Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:09:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] debian-netbsd

gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> writes:

> sysinst (NetBSD's installer) sucks on all archs. You actually saw
> one of the better ones (presuming it behaves about as well as it
> does on sparc).

I don't really care about installers. I was surprised that NetBSD
couldn't load a root file system/rescue file system into ramdisk
when booting over the network.  It does load a kernel, but that's
not enough when I'm in a jam.

In contrast, the debian sparc64 kernel image includes a
root/rescue file system in the image that gets fetched in a
network boot.

> Nobody in the NetBSD community ever claimed we were user friendly.

>From my perspective, it's more of a rescue and repair issue, but
I know what you mean.

> I'd even like to help... only but I've got these three unsupported
> processors lying around, and that's just more fun to play with. :^>

Lucky you!

Chris