gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 4 Apr 2002 20:10:17 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Moveing large files

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 12:33:56PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Well, at some point he needs to move 7 gigs across the network no
> matter which method he uses...

Sure, but doing it in the ways I suggested doesn't cause an NFS
storm on his network during the move and doesn't add incessant NFS
traffice even when he's not transferring data.

NFS is a really noisy protocol. It works okay for things that
actually need to be mounted on more than one machine, but it's not
the right way to move files or to add disk to a single machine.

> OK then...how about physically moving the hard drive from the old box
> to the new? :-)

I don't think he's taking the old box down.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net