Michael F. Robbins on Tue, 9 Apr 2002 07:42:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dial-in / dial-out

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 20:03, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> i'm using mgetty intitialized via inittab. it doesn't appear to be a
> constantly running daemon, only started when inittab detects the call 9does
> this sound right?).

Unlikely.  I don't think init has the ability to "detect" the call.
Most likely, your inittab line looks like this:
U0:23:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -x0 -s 57600 ttyUSB0
This indeed will start a mgetty daemon running on the serial port.  The
word "respawn" indicates that whenever this daemon dies (i.e. someone
disconnects), init will start it again.  I can't think of any way that
init could "watch" the serial port without a daemon.

The easiest way to test my hypothesis is to temporarily comment out the
line in inittab, and run a "telinit q" from the command line.  You may
also have to kill the existing mgetty daemon.  Then, without mgetty, try
your dial-out.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com