Art Clemons on Thu, 9 May 2002 02:27:37 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: bad bios battery?

John lavin:

OK, hit the reset button. Same thing except I get now I get

the bios screen and am put directly into bios setup.

I attempt to move around with my keyboard to no avail. Nothing.

First things first, check the keyboard to be sure it's properly plugged in. If that doesn't work, take a keyboard from a working computer and try using that. You don't mention a USB keyboard so I assume a standard PS/2 keyboard, which means for safety reasons at least turn off the computer before plugging or unplugging anything but USB items. There aren't too many motherboards actually capable of having things other than USB safely plugged in or unplugged while operating.

If a replacement keyboard doesn't fix your problem, and you open up your computer, go around and reseat all of the power connections, once again, at least turn the power off. In the real world if the keyboard doesn't need replacing, it's probably easier to buy a new motherboard than to troubleshoot anything except possibly replacing the power supply, and no this does not sound like a bad battery to me.