Jon Galt on Sat, 8 Jun 2002 05:01:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Michael Leone wrote:
> The ISP gets you access to the Internet. So yes, an ISP is an
> absolute necessity.

This is what I don't get.  What does this "access" consist of?  Clearly
there has to be more than simply a physical wire.  I understand that, but
*what* do I get from the ISP?  Surely one could say "everything else
besides the physical wire", but that wouldn't tell me what I want to know.

If one of my computers sends an IP packet out over my DSL line, the DSL
line provider has to be able to handle the packet... or does it?  Does it
act in some way like a leased line to my ISP?  Could I use an ISP in
Alaska if I wanted to?  Or just ones that have some prearranged agreement
with Verizon in this region?

> After that, you can run your own mail server, web server, etc - if
> the ISP allows you to (Verizon, Comcast, AOL do not; DCA, Speakeasy
> do).

Apparently my (sort of) local ISP is Earthlink, and they take care of
paying Verizon for the DSL line.  And they do allow running servers.

Wayne

Need an experienced programmer who knows
both the Unix and Microsoft worlds?

Then you need to hire Wayne:
http://resumes.dice.com/wdawson

jongalt@pinn.net