Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:21:54 -0400

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

My apologies for hitting send before typing my response.

On Thursday 13 June 2002 11:06 am, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:46:20AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > Nor have I tried Open Office, which I intend to do.
>
> I'd suggest looking into it sooner rather than later.  It still is
> slow to load and eats RAM like there's no tomorrow, but it's better
> about things than StarOffice 5 is.  Also, OO recently released their
> v1.0.

How is it with Word doc compatibility.  I need to be able to open a doc
in either word processor and edit it without screwing it up for the
other.  Being able to open and read a doc is not enough.  That seemed
to be SO's strength.

> > There is also an emulator (i saved the url and name somewhere) that
> > claims to run MS Word well in Linux that I want to try.
>
> Are you thinking about the software from CodeWeavers (makers of the
> CrossOver plugin)?

Yes I am.  (Ffter writing the above, I found your prior post discussing
it.)  The web site seems to suggest that they only send evaluations to
large companies who are considering buying a stack of licenses.  I
don't fit that category, but I'd sure like to see how well
(comprehensively) Word (I have no need for the rest of MS office) is
supported before I buy it.

Have you tried it?  Your opinion?