Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:50:55 +0200

Re: [PLUG] ping

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 11:15:24AM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 06/20, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > I'm trying to gather some data on my DSL and cable service
> > reliability, but I don't want to get people around me upset. (I was
> > thinking of once a minute single pings.)
>
> I think that would be totally appropriate.  This is similar to how managed
> collo is monitored, and I think it is very reasonable for you to monitor
> the stability of the service being provided to you.  And I think 1 ping per
> minute would be reasonable.  Although... you may want to just ask your
> service provider what they think.

Thanks. Alas, it's not always clear who to ask. (DCA I can ask. I also
deal with a Verizon-like service where it's much less clear who could
respond. Well, it'll be amusing, as you're quite right that it would
be polite to ask first.)

I also want to gather statistics on connectivity to the world past my
ISP. Are there any folks out there who would be willing to have their
machine pinged once a minute by me? I promise to make pretty graphs
eventually. ;-)

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>