pinkee on Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:41:06 +0200

Re: [PLUG] ping

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 05:37:28PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Thanks. Alas, it's not always clear who to ask. (DCA I can ask. I also
> deal with a Verizon-like service where it's much less clear who could
> respond. Well, it'll be amusing, as you're quite right that it would
> be polite to ask first.)

Jeff,

I caution you to read the AUP and any other contracts you have with
verizon before you contact them regarding this. When I got my AUP from
verizon for residential aDSL. "always on" was a violation, and pinging
like this may clue them in to your pppoe software having outsmarted
there drop attempts. Just in case they haven't changed this asinine
policy. On the other hand, we routinely pulled as many as 4 ip's and no
one noticed, so...

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org