Sean Finney on Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:51:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] ping

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:34:03PM -0400, pinkee@cavegirl.org wrote:
> I caution you to read the AUP and any other contracts you have with
> verizon before you contact them regarding this. When I got my AUP from
> verizon for residential aDSL. "always on" was a violation, and pinging
> like this may clue them in to your pppoe software having outsmarted
> there drop attempts. Just in case they haven't changed this asinine
> policy. On the other hand, we routinely pulled as many as 4 ip's and no
> one noticed, so...

you know, the other day, my (verizon) connection died on me while I was
in the middle of something.  so as I normally do, I opened up a terminal
and ran ping www.yahoo.com (which by default sends one ping/sec infinitely
on my box).   only, it didn't come back on right away, so having the short
attention span that I do, I left to go play some video games.  20 some-odd
hours later, I returned to the console to see that I had never stopped
the ping command.  That's like 80,000 pings, and I haven't heard from
verizon yet...

--sean