ian reinhart geiser on Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:51:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Anyone want to come over with a Windows laptop for Verizon...

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 06:18 am, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> > >
> > > Umm... but Sean has Verizon DSL and didn't, to my knowledge, use
> > > Windows to set it up.
> >
> > Then he must know something that no-one else in this world knows.
>
> Or he had business grade DSL from Verizon, or something other than PPPoE.

That may be the case.  I know that for some strange reason that was not
available in my area when I got DSL... I have learned that most things at
Verizon are not done for technical reasons but are because of the
braindamaged whims of what ever the techie on the phone decides.

But that is another rant...

> > Verizon DSL uses their intaller to generate a first time code that must
> > be used to login.  You basicly have to note these values at install time
> > and enter them into your PPOE settings.
> >
> > I have tried to convince Verizon to just make me an account but  they
> > "dont have any way to do that"... Either way, without their installer
> > there is no verizon DSL.  End of story.
>
> They are working on a Linux version of their install software, according to
> one set of people I talked to.

Yes I heard the same thing last November "It was in beta"...  Since I know
that I have written full CAE appllication frameworks and put two applications
to market in that time.  I can only assume that their programmers or
contractors are dead.  No-one can be that stupid or lazy and still have a job
in this market, I have seen more complicated things written in bash shell.

> Given that they say that if the end-user doesn't log in within such and
> such a period after activation (turns out my number wasn't activated yet,
> anyway), they'll turn on the account anyway, that they should be able to
> generate the necessary data.

Hrm, I did not hear that one.  How do  you get the password and UID then?
I have found with Versizon that the more you call them the more stories you
get.

> On hold until Verizon really does finish their end.  Blech.  But the
> DCA.net line hasn't been terminated yet.

Why are you dropping DCA for Verizon?  Or is that a dialup line?
I personally have Verizon but have been looking arround at other options,
unfortunately the demand out in my area is pretty weak for anything more
advanced than dialup.

Cheers
- -ian reinhart geiser