Jeff Abrahamson on Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:07:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PHP Help

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 01:04:07PM -0400, Chris Mann wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm currently tasked with getting an intranet up and running for our
> company. Since I'm rather short on time, I've decided to go with
> Postnuke (open sourced php/mysql based CMS) on Apache. This seemed fine
> to our powers that be.
>
> Then our *lovely* consultants chime in with "Open Source is the same as
> shareware, ASP is in greater use and PHP has only #5 of the market
> share. <insert snake oil sales pitch here>." Yes our *lovely*
> consultants are M$ centric in thinking.
>
> What I was wondering is anyone know where I can find the latest market
> share of PHP?

Sometimes answering the question means buying into a losing
proposition. That is, sometimes the only reasonable way to win is to
point out that the supposition of the question is flawed and so can
lead to flawed conclusions.

In this case, who cares what the market share is of php vs asp? Does
it matter if you have four million customers or six million or ten
million? The question is what can you use most effectively, what will
cost the least, and so forth.

Among the hidden costs that don't often get discussed is that you can
get more free help with php, php jobs are sexier, etc.

If you're a technical person, you might not be able to spar one on
many with slimy consultant marketing people who are paid to do just
that. Then it might be reasonable to point that out, to say that you
can talk about technical merits, but not marketing, and that perhaps
you and the consultants should sit down and implement some things (if
you know php well enough to challenge that). Then you can all look at
the code for some reasonable examples of stuff you'll have to do and
decide what you (not the consultants) are most comfortable with and do
some benchmarks yourself.

Or propose you should get in some slimy php advocates to fight on
equal footing. ;-)

I recently left a company where the Windows software took so many
machines to run on that it would have been much cheaper to have it on
Sparcs. But someone wanted that *one* thing on NT.

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>