Bill Jonas on Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:30:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:11:12PM -0400, jeff wrote:
> Are there reliable stats on text-based browser use?  I'd consider redoing
> my site if the traffic warranted it.

Well, you can look at the Google Zeitgeist, at
<http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html>.  About one-third to
one-half of the way down the page, they have a browser stats box.  They
break it out via Netscape 4, MSIE 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and lump
everything else into "Other".  This would, of course, include Netscape 6
and 7, Mozilla, and Opera, as well as your text browsers.  It's not
clear to me exactly what the height of the lines represents, whether
it's raw numbers, percentages, or what.

So there's probably very few people that primarily use a text-based
browser.  Consider this, though: That's pretty much the only way that
blind or heavily vision-impaired people, for example, *can* browser the
web, via a text browser and text-to-speech software.  Some people just
*don't* have the option to go run MSIE, NS, Moz, or Opera.  Food for
thought, anyway.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin