jeff on Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:13:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

1) The site should be HTML standards compliant, valid, etc.
2) It should work in a variety of standards compliant browsers, including
text base

Dammit, I can't figure out whether I should feel ancient or just old and entitled to a rant.

I prefer a nice, fast browser, like Opera. I would rather visit fast-loading sites that aren't heavy on the GEE-WHIZ Factor<tm> and graphics. Javascript can take a flying leap, as far as I'm concerned.

I started out with a very early Netscape and only got a look at lynx down the line. Graphics were sometimes turned off. I got aggravated as browsers got more bloated and slow. I attempted to design my site to be fast and simple, yet uniquely bizarre. I will admit that I didn't give much thought to text browsers. In fact, this is the only place I've ever heard the topic discussed.

Are there reliable stats on text-based browser use? I'd consider redoing my site if the traffic warranted it.

So I guess this makes me old, but not as old as others :)