Iman Mayes on Tue, 8 Oct 2002 21:10:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

Ok,

The horse is still twitching a little, so I'll get my stick and recap on
what we agree on so far :)

1) The site should be HTML standards compliant, valid, etc.
2) It should work in a variety of standards compliant browsers, including
text base
3) All Links should work
4) Adding new, useful functionality that does not break 1,2 or 3 is OK

Pretty simple.

Now, here are the problems I have with the existing site:

1) The Home Page - When I first went to the home page to get info about the
group, I had to pause a little bit. I expected a brief intro about the
group, but got a list of mixed items that all ran together. At the top,
there are "Upcoming Meetings", list info and guidelines, PLUG howto Archive
(Was this a howto about the group? Howtos done by the group? *click* Whoa!
New site, different look), Members, etc...Internet Service Providers...OK,
more about the group...History...PA State Poilice Computer Crimes, more
about group...etc. Could be organized better. For example:

- PLUG Group Intro
- PLUG Section (members, etc)
- Events (Meetings, other computer events, etc)
- Other LUG's
- etc

somehow separated into sections that are easy to follow. Does *not* have to
be fancy though.

2) New Information - Typically, having some reference to updates to the site
on the home page IMHO is a good idea. That way, as a returning viewer, I
don't have to troll through the whole site checking the last update date,
and then staring at the page to see if I can tell whats new. Maybe, other
than the meetings, the site does not get updated that much. But, when it
does how can you tell within a short period of time?

3) There is also some info on the sight that probably could be taken off,
like alternate meeting locations that will most likely not be used (i.e.,
the ones that cost money).

Yes, these sorts of things take time, but I think thats where a good CMS and
good maintainers will come in handy. As far as keeping things as simple as
possible while meeting the above critera, I'm currently leaning towards Zope
(just my 2 cents).

As a side note, maybe its me, but I can't get to the archives on the mailing
list site. Both the "Subscribe" and "Archive" links take me to the subscribe
page. The nOOb would like to checkout what was missed!

Iman Mayes