Paul on Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:00:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

I didn't notice if the PLUG site is using PHP, but it should.

Why?

It doesn't happen to be, at the moment.  PHP is a *programming
language*.  There's no need for it unless you *actually need it*.  What
problem is the PLUG web site experiencing that it would need to be
driven by a programming language?  What do you want the site to *do*
that it can't do with HTML?  What does the site need to say that must be
said programmatically rather than declaratively?

The first answer that comes to mind is navigation. In the same way you could use a SSI (server side include) directive to maintain a consistant navigation menu accross multiple pages, you could use PHP. For another LUG I created a script that would automatically publish the next meeting date. PHP could also be used to remove outdated content, like removing an event from a list once it has passed.

There are a bunch of little things and big things that PHP can do. Having PHP available gives us the opportunity to solve old problems in new ways and to go do things that were not previously thought of. So, I would say that the best answer to "Why?" is an exercise in imagination.

PHP will output valid HTML if it is told to do so, so no worries there. (I was just starting to wonder if it would have any problem with XHTML, but I doubt it.) It is incredibly easy to use. It can be used when you need it or not used when you don't need it. Why not have it available?

I'm surprised by the level of rejection of all but the most basic technology among technologists. I'm starting to think that the creative, artistic element of Web design frightens pure technologists. (I'm half serious about that.)