Bill Jonas on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:00:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:44:39AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> I'm surprised by the level of rejection of all but the most basic
> technology among technologists.  I'm starting to think that the
> creative, artistic element of Web design frightens pure technologists.
> (I'm half serious about that.)

Well, it's for the same reason that I don't apt-get install every
possible network daemon immediately after I install a new machine; it's
not *necessary*.  If it *is* necessary, *then* I do it.  As Gabe said,
if the job requires (or strongly suggests, for some value of "strongly")
a particular tool, then by all means, use that tool.  It's silly to use
a tool just for the sake of using that tool.  (Unless the objective is
to use that tool; an example would be "I'm going to add some PHP to the
mix on my site so I can learn how to use PHP."  But even there, the real
objective isn't to *use* the tool; in this case, the reason would be to
*learn* the tool.)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin