W. Chris Shank on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:20:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

It's hard to get a tech job because budgets aren't growing, so positions
aren't being added. Budgets have many pockets - headcount, capital
expenses, ect. Employees usually don't get laid off with a deptartmental
budget cut (consultants may not get contracts renewed - but their funding
comes from a diferent pocket) - employees typically are laid off when
business needs a work force reduction to trim operating expenses.

I agree that employees are costly - but I still believe that managers want
to avoid layoffs as much as possible. It's bad for moral, it's HARD to
hire people back - because getting open reqs for poistions is tough - and
bringing in new people is always an unknown variable that can throw a
wrench in an otherwise smoothly running machine.