W. Chris Shank on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:40:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

I never said "renewable maintenance" when talking about the internet
licenses I saw during the dot-com hey-day. You misrepresented my
statement. I witnessed internet businesses using products such as verity
and oracle on internet application, before they had reasonable internet
licenses. Remember that licensing was per seat connection with oracle. So
if you used it to run a web application - how many users or seats did you
now have? This is the licensing to which I was referring. Maintenance
contracts are a necessary evil for our business. Probably similar to
extended warranties with cars. You can choose to renew or not. But I
suspect that a small business with 20 workstations isn't buying a
renewable support contract. Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I want
to sell these support contracts for Linux, if I can.

How big is your business? Your deptment? Do you fall into the SME category?

here's another question, since you are an IT manager: Does your headcount
funding come from one pool and your software licensing, equipment and
maintenance contracts another? Or do you have a shared pool?