W. Chris Shank on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:00:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

I'm sorry. I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I need to give this one
a few more whacks. This is a completely generic statement with no basis in
actual fact other than my personal experiences and observations: People
aren't getting laid because their budget was consumed by software
licensing. People were getting laid off because thier businesses were
LOSING money.

Sure there is an argument that if they cut expenses on licensing fees,
they could keep staff - but in reality - if you don't have the work for
people - you need to cut the jobs. And software licensing is typically a
one time cost, so it's money already spent. Certainly some of the internet
related companies were striking license deals that were renewed annually
or based on sales or traffic or what not. But licensing is a fixed cost
and is usually already spent and it typically comes from an entirely
different fund that headcount.

I'm dealing with this issue when trying to sell Linux. Companies that
already own MS licenses don't see licensing as a major issue - until they
are ready to upgrade at least. I have found very little advantage to
trying to sell on  Linux's licensing fee (or lack there of) compared with
MS. Stability. Upgrageability. Reduced hardware upgrade costs. those are
areas where i've had positive response.

Sorry to get off on a tanget - but dealing with Linux in business is on my
mind right now.

Chris