Chris Beggy on Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:47:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

"W. Chris Shank" <chris.shank@acetechgroup.com> writes:

> I'm dealing with this issue when trying to sell Linux. Companies that
> already own MS licenses don't see licensing as a major issue - until they
> are ready to upgrade at least. I have found very little advantage to
> trying to sell on  Linux's licensing fee (or lack there of) compared with
> MS. Stability. Upgrageability. Reduced hardware upgrade costs. those are
> areas where i've had positive response.

Good luck with this and the forum.  The more people share ideas
and experience the better for linux in business.

Here are some of my ideas:

 1. check out linuxsupportservices.com, a company that has been
    successful for a while in the field of outsourced linux support
 2. linux will displace solaris and irix before it displaces
    windows, there is no business opportunity here since linux is basically
    unix
 3. linux on IBM mainframes may actually dislodge MVS in the same
    time period, and IBM will have the bulk of this business
 4. linux will then infiltrate big companies fleeing the MS tax, who
    can afford the training necessary to bring people up to speed
    on StarOffice
 5. linux/staroffice *training* will be the best business opportunity when
    "4" starts happening
 6. when big companies have paid the tuition and many people are
    trained, smaller organizations will switch to linux,
    and there will be opportunities in support and training.
 7. Europe will be different, since linux will be imposed from
    the top down, in places like Germany and France.

Chris