Paul on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:40:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Linux Business Forum

What is a technician or administrator paid for? Are they paid to be the middle person between a big technology corporation and the business using their technology, or are they paid to provide direct support? Any job I've had as a computer support person I rarely if ever contacted the vendor for assistance. *I* was the support they were paying for. As such, I never liked working alone. Having at least one other co-worker seemed to more than double our effectiveness as we learned from each other. With OSS there is a whole community of people who help each other!

Also, there are companies that provide paid support.  Why aren't they valid?

That thought, expressed or not, is Linux' biggest obstacle in the business community. There is a subconsious fear that, without money as a motivator, support for Linux will erode.