Paul on Sun, 3 Nov 2002 02:20:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mobo angst

Yeah, the nVidia driver is better than the "nv" driver. On my PC with a GeForce 2 GTX card I tried to play Tux Racer with the nv driver. The nv driver doesn't provide hardware acceleration, so the game was impossibly slow. I just downloaded the pair of small files from the nVidia site and now the game runs smooth.

(The NVchooser.sh script is neat. It recommends the files that match your system. It recommended the Athlon RPM for my system, which I used without a problem. I was going to install the i686 RPM since that's what "uname -a" reports even though I have an Athlon CPU. In any case, whether I was right or the script was right, the script's advice hasn't caused a problem.)

Using the nVidia driver on my laptop with a GeForce2 Go card, however, causes a power management problem. I have an Inspiron 8100. Do you have any nVidia related problems on your laptop?

Iman Mayes wrote:

I actually have the Nvidia drivers running on my laptop with RedHat 8.0. I
have an Inspiron 4200 which has an Nvidia graphics chipset. You may want to
give the drivers a shot.