Mike Leone on Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:30:24 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Weird APT error message

Stephen Gran (steve@lobefin.net) had this to say on 11/16/02 at 14:45:

> Hmmm . . . no, I'm not seeing the problem on your box.  This is the
> thread I was referring to, it might be of some help:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200211/msg01041.html

It's gotten worse ... I was able to do an apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade.
It complained that it couldn't access /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansis because of
permissions (mind you, I was root). I can't ls that file; I do indeeed get
"Permission denied".

And during package install, it runs ldconfig. And I got similar couldn't
access messgaes on some libraries  (libkscorreapplet, I think, and
libdns-hessiod) ... and then the system rebooted.

Shades of MS Windows! :-(

runnig ldconfig after rebooting produced another reboot.

KDE won't run, presumably because of the permission problem on some of those
libraries. GNOME will, but gnome-terminal won't.

<SIGH>

So what should I do now? I presume I need to change the perms on those
files, but everytime I run ldconfig, it reboots. I have a rescue CD
somewhere, and might be able to mount that partition, and change the owner
to roor:root (I think).

Suggestions?

Member, LEAF Project <http://leaf.sourceforge.net>    AIM: MikeLeone
Public Key - <http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.asc>