Stephen Gran on Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:58:14 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Weird APT error message

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 04:30:36PM -0500, Mike Leone said:
> It's gotten worse ... I was able to do an apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade.
> It complained that it couldn't access /usr/share/terminfo/a/ansis because of
> permissions (mind you, I was root). I can't ls that file; I do indeeed get
> "Permission denied".
>
> And during package install, it runs ldconfig. And I got similar couldn't
> access messgaes on some libraries  (libkscorreapplet, I think, and
> libdns-hessiod) ... and then the system rebooted.
>
> Shades of MS Windows! :-(
>
> runnig ldconfig after rebooting produced another reboot.
>
> KDE won't run, presumably because of the permission problem on some of those
> libraries. GNOME will, but gnome-terminal won't.
>
> <SIGH>
>
> So what should I do now? I presume I need to change the perms on those
> files, but everytime I run ldconfig, it reboots. I have a rescue CD
> somewhere, and might be able to mount that partition, and change the owner
> to roor:root (I think).
>
> Suggestions?

memtest & co.  I'm thinking faulty hardware at this point.  ldconfig should
not be randomly rebooting your box.  Also, is there a possibility you've
been rooted?  'permission denied' as root is a bad sign, and can mean
either a rooted box, or a corrupted filesystem.  I'm kind of banking on
bad hardware, though.

Good luck,
|Stephen Gran                  | Complex system:  One with real problems and   |
|steve@lobefin.net             | imaginary profits.                            |
|http://www.lobefin.net/~steve |                                               |