Tobias DiPasquale on Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:40:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SPAM from being a list member/poster

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 08:53, Paul wrote:
> I'm now running Spam Assassin through my Web hosting service.  Here are
> some questions:
>
> Does SA reduce the load on the mail server by blocking spam?

It increases the load on the mailserver, but my decrease your meatspace
load average by identifying time-wasting pieces of spam before you have
to look at them. This is tricky: it depends on how much spam you get and
what the time-savings are that SpamAssassin can give you. If you get a
lot of spam, and SA correctly identifies most of it, then its worth. If
you don't get a lot in relation to real mail, and/or its not catching a
lot of spam (sounds like this is not the case), then it wouldn't be
worth it and maybe procmail is your solution. For now...

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
UNIX Software Engineer