Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:32:50 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Netraverse LUG Sponsorship Program

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 17:13, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> In some business settings, you get compatibility cycles: we use
> Windows because we subscribe to Tibco (a financial data service),
> which provides an excel plug-in, and won't support us when problems
> happen unless we're using Windows. But for most people that sort of
> thing isn't the issue, it's can they read their colleagues
> spreadsheets (and vice versa).

Right.  I forgot to mention that I have some legal texts on CD that are
only available in the Windows Folio Infobase format.  (Fortunately,
Lexis and Westlaw have nice browser interfaces that run fine under
Konqueror and Mozilla.)

Also, the case management package that I mentioned, TimeMatters is only
supported if the clients run under windows, and even the Linux server is
"out of the box with no changes" Red Hat 7.2.  Meaning, even if you get
the clients to run under wine and the back end to run under Debian, they
are not going to help you fix your problems on that extremely critical
data.
--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>
Arthur S. Alexion LLC