sean finney on Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:30:32 -0500

Re: [PLUG] GUI refusal

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 11:30:47PM -0500, jeff wrote:
> http://www.op.net/~jeffv/XFree86.0.log

hmm... doesn't look like anything's critically wrong from that... are
you sure there isn't anything wrong with your window manager config?
are you sure that's where the log is getting put?

> >  also, do you remember
> >what you upgraded after the apt-get update?
>
> oops.... I did upGRADE.  Got some fonts, can't remember what else.

are you sure that the upgrade went sucessfully?  try apt-get -f install
to see if it still wants to do anything, or maybe update/upgrade again
in the case that there's been some kind of bug and it's already been
fixed.

> testing/unstable is all I've been able to divine.
> This is a testimony to the stability of linux.

well, you know there are /some/ operating systems that are completely
useless without a/their gui.  i find i can often do things better and faster
from the commandline than i could through any fancypants button and
menu driven interface...

> >   what file systems got fsck'd?  all that
>
> ext2

what i meant was what partitions, like /usr or /var, et c.  it's possible
that perhaps that the partition in question was the home of certain
needed-by-x libraries, and that these libraries had a few bits thrown
around.  if all else fails, take a look at the debsums package and
it's respective manpage, which should be able to tell you if something's
mucked.

> >failing, you can probably just re-install x  and see if that magically
> >fixes your problem
>
> I was kinda hoping it would, but alas.... no.

drat.  would you happen to know what version xserver-xfree86 you had
previously installed?

	sean