Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:50:11 -0500

Re: Speakeasy status (Re: [PLUG] DirecTV switchover)

> > Jeyes, David (371) said:
> > > I'm surprised that it went so smoothly. I'm having a nightmare- I put in the
> >
> > Really?  Are you moving from DirecTV to Speakeasy?  Who's giving the
> > trouble - DirecTV or you new one?  I have nothing but good things to say
> > about the sales rep and tech guys I've talked to so far.  I think
> > another difference is that I have the ability to use Covad.  I think I
> > heard mention of Worldcom in the city <<shudder>>.
> >

> I'm having a much harder time of my Speakeasy install than I expected
> given all the nice comments I've heard about them.  The tech and sales
> people are very nice, but I'm unimpressed with their internal
> communications and status info updating.  I've stopped calling them on
> two day intervals, because that gets me a 'call back in 24 hours for
> more info' response, and just seems to slow the process more.

What's the problem in particular?

Do you see a light on your modem that says dsl? Is it lit?

If so, then did you properly assign your ip address?

Type:

ifconfig

and give us the results. I have found that since they assign static ip's
and use--from my pov--normal ethernet protocols, setup is a breeze.

Just plug it in and assign a static ip address to the netcard in question,
and also assign it as your default route. If you aren't running bind then
you need to add a speakeasy ns to /etc/resolv.conf.

Good luck

Fred Ollinger