Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:02:15 -0500

Re: XF4 and xf86cfg (Re: [PLUG] "Friends don't let friends use Dell")

> Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> >
> > > I know this doesn't matter much at this point, since your Rawhide X
> > > should work fine, but:
> > >
> > > Does RH ship xf86cfg?
> >
> > I don't think I saw that in an distro w/ XFree4.
>
> That's something I was wondering about RH8.  I've had a trouble report
> from someone on RH8 that they did not have xf86cfg.  Can someone confirm
> or deny it is not installed on RH8?
>
> XFree86 only ships xf86cfg for 4.x versions, so if you have it, it
> would  be from a 4.x version.

The point is, why would anyone want this anymore? Using X -configure is
much, much nicer. As w/ all distros that have XFree86, you could the
resultant XF86Config-4 file to taste. This is the same in NetBSD w/
XFree86 and it includes rh8.

Fred Ollinger