Paul on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:19:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Incremental Backups to CD-RW

I'm running stat 3.0 under RedHat 8.0 and it has the same options. What is the difference between "modification" and "change" in practical terms?

The reason I had mentioned stat is for the possibility of scripting with it to get a list of modified files for backup.

Walt Mankowski wrote:

I'm running GNU stat 4.5.2 under Debian testing.  Here are the
relevant parts of stat's man page concerning the -c flag, reformatted
for ease of reading:

 -f, --filesystem
        display filesystem status instead of file status

 -c --format=FORMAT
        use the specified FORMAT instead of the default

 The valid format sequences for files (without --filesystem):

        %A - Access rights in human readable form
        %a - Access rights in octal
        %b - Number of blocks allocated
        %D - Device number in hex
        %d - Device number in decimal
        %F - File type
        %f - raw mode in hex
        %G - Group name of owner
        %g - Group ID of owner
        %h - Number of hard links
        %i - Inode number
        %N - Quoted File name with dereference if symbolic link
        %n - File name
        %o - IO block size
        %s - Total size, in bytes
        %T - Minor device type in hex
        %t - Major device type in hex
        %U - User name of owner
        %u - User ID of owner
        %X - Time of last access as seconds since Epoch
        %x - Time of last access
        %Y - Time of last modification as seconds since Epoch
        %y - Time of last modification
        %Z - Time of last change as seconds since Epoch
        %z - Time of last change

 Valid format sequences for file systems:

        %a - Free blocks available to non-superuser
        %b - Total data blocks in file system
        %c - Total file nodes in file system
        %d - Free file nodes in file system
        %f - Free blocks in file system