Walt Mankowski on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:36:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Incremental Backups to CD-RW

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 04:19:11PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> I'm running stat 3.0 under RedHat 8.0 and it has the same options.  What
> is the difference between "modification" and "change" in practical terms?

From the man page for the stat(2) system call:

  The field st_mtime is changed by file modifications, e.g. by
  mknod(2), truncate(2), utime(2) and write(2) (of more than zero
  bytes).  Moreover, st_mtime of a directory is changed by the
  creation or deletion of files in that directory.  The st_mtime field
  is not changed for changes in owner, group, hard link count, or
  mode.

  The field st_ctime is changed by writing or by setting inode
  information (i.e., owner, group, link count, mode, etc.).