Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:50:31 -0500

Re: [PLUG] whois results don't show contact info

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 01:29:13PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:57:44PM -0500, Samantha S. Ollinger wrote:
> > When I registered my .com I was asked questions about the administrative
> > contact, etc which is usually revealed in the whois lookup.
> >
> > However a whois on mediaresearch.org doesn't show any information from my
> > debian box:
> > Whois Server Version 1.3
> >
> > Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
> > with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> > for detailed information.
> >
> > No match for "MEDIARESEARCH.ORG".
>
> Yes, something weird is going on with .org queries. I noticed the same
> thing yesterday. So far, I've not had problems on any .com, .net, or
> .int queries, but haven't gotten any .org queries to work. Also debian
> here, but I just tried two queries on a redhat box and got the same
> results.

This may explain it:

    https://www.snapnames.com/nsi/dot_org.jsp?aff=49&dom=bcdv.org

  As of January 25, 2003, central registry supervision of domain names
  ending in ORG was transferred from VeriSign to Public Interest
  Registry (PIR). PIR has elected to suspend deletions of expired ORG
  names for three to four months while it considers deletion policies.

  Please be aware that this may affect the timing of the deletion of any
  non-renewed ORG name, as well as the effectiveness of your back-order
  subscription. If, when deletions are resumed, our service is not able
  to acquire deleting ORG names, you of course will be welcome to
  exchange your subscription for a COM or NET domain name.

  We will continue to work with PIR to learn more about their intentions
  regarding deleting ORG names and will forward information as it is
  available. If you have questions, please contact our support group at
  support@snapnames.com or at 1-800-385-4075.

The Public Interest Registry is http://www.pir.org/. They have a faq
that includes this interesting item:

  6.  Does my registrar have to become accredited with PIR?

  Yes. All registrars who wish to make any transactions with the new
  .ORG registry must successfully complete a technical certification, as
  well as other requirements, such as signing the registry-registrar
  contract specified by ICANN. Completing the technical certification
  will help ensure that the registrar's system will function properly.

They propose certain improvements now that they are in charge. (I
guess they have to make it sound good.) One of them sounds scary:

  All WHOIS data for .ORG domain names will eventually be centralized
  into a single, authoritative database. (Registration data currently
  resides in more than 100 separate, publicly accessible registrar
  databases.) This will make it easier for you to look up the owner of a
  domain name.

--
 Jeff