John Lavin on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:56:47 -0500

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Archos Jukebox

Adam Turoff said:
> I met someone this weekend who has one, and they were so frustrated with
> it, they went out and got an iPod as a replacement.  Among the problems
> I remember them saying were
>   - there was a driver problem with the Mac; they couldn't download
>     music to the device, but could use it as a USB hard drive or more
>     likely as an expensive brick.

Hmm - well - I would only need to be able to plug it in, mount it to my
Debian box, copy and play.  If that someone's using it as a brick, maybe
there's some deal we could cut to unload it off of him.

>   - the (hardware) interface was difficult to understand; for a
>     piece of consumer electronics, this is a *bad*.

I haven't done more than look casually, but do any electronics shops
carry them?  I hadn't noticed, but wasn't looking specifically for it.
I'll probally want to play with it if that's the case...

>   - when I looked at it, it seemed to crash when I tried to turn it on.

Ouch - now that's a problem.  Did the owner complain of that happening
to him often as well?

> I thought about buying one before the 20GB iPods came out.

Reason why I'm leaning away from iPods and Nomads is that it needs to
record at stereo quality (but not DAT quality) for 3 hours+ in addition
to playing my music.  Pictures and video is nice, but its extra that I
don't necessarily need.  I'm not wrong about there being no iPod or
Nomad that would record as well, right?

Thanks,
-john
--
John Lavin <jlavin@wayreth.net> http://www.wayreth.net                  ,''`.
You know, they say people get the government they deserve, but I don't : :' :