gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:50:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] $20 wireless PCMCIA card

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 06:13:35PM -0400, Stewart B. Lone wrote:
> gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> | Could you cite the text you quoted, please?
> If you go to the IBM site and bring up laptops, as far as I can see, all
> their models--A,T,R, and X all seem to offer 3 options in general. No
> wireless support possible, WI-Fi upgradeable, or Intel PRO/Wireless
> Network Connection 802.11b.

They don't actually say "no wireless support", they just say "none",
which means "none included" to me.

Again, if it's got a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot, then you can use any of a
wide variety of 802.11{a,b,g} cards with it.

> I would hazard a guess that this is the Intel centrino mobo.

Based on all the Centrino logos spangled on the right side of that
page, I'd agree.

> If you click customize on any othe choices with the
> upgradeable option, and then click the "wireless link" above the "Wi-Fi
> wireless upgradable" info, you get a popup box with the following
> information:-

This is definitely about their built-in stuff. There's no reason you
have to use that (though I don't think there's anything *wrong* with
it). There's a little voice inside my head that says to be wary of
built-in components like this, but the only reason you'd have
trouble is if they resemble WinModems (that is, doing in software
what should be done in hardware), and I doubt that. If it's just a
standard 802.11 chipset on the other side of a PCI bridge, it should
Just Work in your operating system of choice.

> ~    * The new IBM® UltraConnect" Antenna supports both IEEE 802.11a and
> 802.11b wireless technologies.
> ~    * Other select ThinkPad notebooks feature a dual antenna, which
> supports 802.11b wireless technology, built into the display cover for
> optimal signal reception1.

Cute, but it's not going to make that much of a difference, I don't
think. Unless you're interested in leeching bandwidth, wardriving,
whatever. In which case you'll end up building your own antennae
anyhow.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net