Stewart B. Lone on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 19:28:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] $20 wireless PCMCIA card

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
| On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 06:13:35PM -0400, Stewart B. Lone wrote:
|
|>gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
|>| Could you cite the text you quoted, please?
|>If you go to the IBM site and bring up laptops, as far as I can see, all
|>their models--A,T,R, and X all seem to offer 3 options in general. No
|>wireless support possible, WI-Fi upgradeable, or Intel PRO/Wireless
|>Network Connection 802.11b.
|

| They don't actually say "no wireless support", they just say "none",
| which means "none included" to me.
|
| Again, if it's got a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot, then you can use any of a
| wide variety of 802.11{a,b,g} cards with it.
|

|>I would hazard a guess that this is the Intel centrino mobo.
|

| Based on all the Centrino logos spangled on the right side of that
| page, I'd agree.
|

|>If you click customize on any othe choices with the
|>upgradeable option, and then click the "wireless link" above the "Wi-Fi
|>wireless upgradable" info, you get a popup box with the following
|>information:-
|

| This is definitely about their built-in stuff. There's no reason you
| have to use that (though I don't think there's anything *wrong* with
| it). There's a little voice inside my head that says to be wary of
| built-in components like this, but the only reason you'd have
| trouble is if they resemble WinModems (that is, doing in software
| what should be done in hardware), and I doubt that. If it's just a
| standard 802.11 chipset on the other side of a PCI bridge, it should
| Just Work in your operating system of choice.
|

|>~    * The new IBM® UltraConnect" Antenna supports both IEEE 802.11a and
|>802.11b wireless technologies.
|>~    * Other select ThinkPad notebooks feature a dual antenna, which
|>supports 802.11b wireless technology, built into the display cover for
|>optimal signal reception1.
|

| Cute, but it's not going to make that much of a difference, I don't
| think. Unless you're interested in leeching bandwidth, wardriving,
| whatever. In which case you'll end up building your own antennae
| anyhow.

My only concern Is the following text from the popup box(at the bottom
bullet#3 i think, is the following text:-
"3 Can be wireless enabled with the addition of an optional wireless LAN
Mini PCI Card. These systems are designed to operate only with wireless
LAN Mini PCI options sold by IBM."
I only want to use the card of MY choice(it could be IBM`s)but dont want
to be locked out of choice.
I suppose I shall wait, as I prefer to hear from someone with first hand
experience rather than a vendor with an ax to grind.