Geoff Rivell on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:16:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Hardware question

On Monday 09 June 2003 08:07 am, Paul wrote:
> Forge wrote:
>
> Really?  So two CPUs share the same RAM?  If both are working under the
> same load, will they split their memory use in half?  In other words, if
> you have 512MB of RAM, will each CPU only have 256MB to work with?  (Not
> that that isn't a good amount of RAM.)

I think you are missing the idea of what multiple cpu's do.  They don't work
with the same load.  It's not like you add a CPU and get double the
performance.  The applications have to be designed for it.  Generally on
Linux, 1 app will be used on 1 CPU, and the other app on the other CPU.  Lets
say you are running KMail and Konqueror.  They will execute on different
cpu's.

If the app is designed for multiple cpu's, like lets say a decoding
routine.... That will split the work between the 2 cpu's.  The memory is
shared though.  So process A is on cpu 1 and process B is on cpu 2, but they
see what memory is allocated for them by the operating system.

There is no clear cut way to say CPU 1 gets 256MB, CPU 2 gets 256MB.  They
both see the same resources.  (In simplest explanation I can think of :-)

> That's fine.  Consider this hardware feature: Built-in ATA133 drive
> contollers, maybe with RAID.  Drive speed always being a bottleneck, the
> faster drives and striping could make the system more responsive.
>  Again, you could add a card for that, but that increases complexity and
> reduces slot availability.

I have never messed with RAID but have heard plenty of great things about it.
Where's the RAID laptops ;-P